Saturday, May 29, 2010

Random cards....

In an effort to make up for not displaying cards this week (working 12 hour days downtown can be a drag...however, allows me the financial freedom to buy, buy, buy!  Sorry Captain T....), I am posting some cards I made...thanks for stopping by!

Frogs Whiskers is a great little store in Campbellford, Ontario.  They sell online so you can contact them here...but they have such a neat little stamp called barnboard.  It is so realistic!!  See it here...and I have used it quite a bit; here is another card I made using it....It doesn't really look like much as a stamp but once you use it, I can't believe the detail.  Rose-Marie is very good at designing detailed stamps.  She will even custom-make a stamp for you very reasonably so if you have an idea in mind and would like to see it in a stamp, contact her.  She's a lovely lady and her staff is amazingly helpful and fun to deal with.
For this, I stamped the barnboard in Distress Ink Brushed Courdaroy on kraft paper and while it was still wet, drizzled clear embossing powder randomly in lines horizontally, careful not to cover the entire area.  This is so that some spots showed up glossy, and others were just flat ink.  Wood has such a patina, I was striving for a natural look.

Next, I cut it into strips and took antique linen and ran it over each edge of the strips so that the embossed areas resisted the ink and the non-embossed areas soaked it up to create more patina.  I then staggered the strips to appear like barn boards and used brads as nails.


The butterfly is a digital Hero Arts image, coloured with two shades of blue copics.  I took a black sharpie marker and darkened the black areas and added crystal effects on top of that to darken it.  Popped it up on pop-up dots, took some 25 guage black wire and twisted it on a toothpick and taped to the back.  Sentiment is Inkadinkadoo, nestablilities and stamped with the barnboard stamps while still in the frame.  Black ribbon and brown cardstock and we're done.


Here is a peach version but instead of stamping the barnboard on kraft cardstock first, I used a soft pink coloured cardstock.  Hard to see but it really gives it a softer look.....sentiment is from Frogs Whiskers and the ribbon is actually two ribbons, brown on the bottom with a peachy thin ribbon taped over top.  I used Papertrey Ink's scallop die to make the trim under the ribbon out of kraft cardstock. 

This is white cardstock as a base under the barnboard....just another version.  I didn't use brads here, just a black sharpie pen to make the nails.  Cool eh?  Don't forget to leave a small space between the strips to show the cardstock underneath as it looks like the shadow between the real boards on a wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment